Saturday 8 October 2016

The Five Stages of Injury

1.  Denial
Ok, so my back is really sore and I can't currently sit up, stand or walk...but I'm sure it'll be fine in time for my long run at the weekend, I should be able to get a couple of 30 milers in.....

2. Grief
Usually accompanied by excessive wine consumption, crying lots and self pity.  Sh*t, I really have hurt my back.  What am I going to do now?  What about all the training I've done?  What's the point of anything if I can't run anymore?  What. Is. The. Point. Of. Life????????? (NB Runners can be very overdramatic and theatrical at times.)

3. Blame
Stupid 100km. I knew I should have done the Highland Fling instead.  Who made me do the ACP? Why???

4. Anger
I hate all other runners. Stupid runners. I hope they all get injured too.  (When going through this stage, it's probably not a good time to a) open a bottle of wine, or b) go for a drive where you might see other runners.)

5. Acceptance
Oh cr*p, I really can't run and I have no idea when I will be able to run again.  I guess I have 2 choices - either 1) be angry, mope about, isolate myself from all other runners, hate all other runners and generally feel sorry for myself, or 2) TTFU, accept the facts and just focus on what I can do! The latter is usually the best choice to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment